Please donate to the tree-sitters to help avoid jail time
Donations Needed to Avoid Jail Time
One of the saddest things that has happened over the years of this battle for the mountain's spirit is that people who love her don't go to her anymore. The ski area and their urge to poop on the mountain and all it's life forms (us too!) has left a bad taste in people's mouth (pun intended). But we must at least reclaim the reason we all are fighting so hard to stop this ski area.
This may be the last time we get a chance to enjoy a sewer water free experience on the mountain, so come up and bear witness to the Forest Service's lunacy and also enjoy one of the most spectacular views in all the Southwest.
Bear Witness Walk
DAILY - Self-Guided, from Snowbowl parking lot (rain or shine - map)
Park in the Snowbowl lot and hike the short distance to the current destruction being done to the mountain (map), and as well as take a moment to pay respects to the mountain in your own way! And please be aware, this is only a short hike but please practice Leave no Trace principles. (Saturday, it will be from 11-2 with a prayer circle and talk session).
Please have a look at the map and get a few friends together and come bear witness. It is close to the lot and very empowering. Please be aware you are on top of a mountain and those who are not used to the elevation should be ready to feel giddy for a bit. Also this hike has some steep inclines, so you should be able to hike 1/2 mile up a hill.
PLEASE HAVE A LOOK AT THE MAP AND READ ALL SELF-GUIDED INSTRUCTIONS. And all the map notes. It is extremely important information and will also give you a good idea if you are up to the hike. There are reports of harassment and citations from the United Snakes Forest Service.
Please camp the peaks! Come together for some community healing, skill sharing, and fun on the peaks and bear witness to the pipeline installation and clearcutting. Just bearing witness is a powerful statement. This is simply a way for us to pay our respects to the mountain and come together as a community and start the healing process. What better place to do it than on the mountain we work so hard to protect.
Is it illegal to camp at Freidlein Prairie Road?
No! In fact this is the recommended place to camp by the US Forest Service. Nobody need do anything illegal, and just being there on the Mountain is enough. Gather all peoples and cultures who rely on the peaks in one way or another for their life. If for nothing more than the mushrooms and spring water in the inner basin, it is time to repay that beauty she offers so freely. We should all go there now and let the mountain know we love her.
So how do I make basecamp?
1. Get 6 friends (or more, or less -- come alone if that's your thing)
2. Read the Camping Rules laid out by the Forest Service.
3. Utilize Dispersed Camping along Freidlein Prairie Road (Forest Road 522). Which is about a mile from the top and has designated campsites and fire rings. (You must also read the rules for this specific camp area)
4. We have a list of suggested supplies below, but only you know what you need.
5. You can stay up to two weeks in one spot before needing to move. Freidlein Prairie only allows 14 days out of each 30.
6. PRACTICE LEAVE NO TRACE ETHICS.
7. Absolutely, 100% respect for the mountain. Please disperse all tents to be both friendly to the earth and your neighbor :)
8. If you don't know how to make a fire, please do not make a fire. We recommend cookstoves!
List of Camping needs:
It is low 20’s in the evenings and there will be scattered storms (which are absolutely amazing to camp in). Please bring warm and rain-proof clothing and gear.
- Earth-friendly toiletries
- Water, water, and water
- Food and cooking utensils
- Utensils, plate and cup! <-- You really should bring your own (keeps illness down)
- Cook Stove (propane)
- Toilet paper
- Tarps and an extra tarp
- Flashlight and batteries (headlamps are GREAT!!)
- Sleeping pad and bag
- Medicine (if you need it)
- Extra clothing
- A drum
- Small Shovel
Pack it in, Pack it Out!!!
Converge on the peaks!